THE GS TRAM SITE
ARIZONA, UNITED STATES
26 Apr. 1946
The Phoenix streetcar system on the last day of service on the Brill (No.1) route.
MINNEAPOLIS - ST. PAUL
NORTHERN NEW JERSEY
SALT LAKE CITY
SEATTLE - TACOMA
GS Web Site Home
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is
© OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time
the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
DISCONTINUATION DATES OF TRAM TRACKS BETWEEN 26 APR. 1946 AND 16 FEB. 1948 (affected route numbers in parantheses).
- 1946 Apr. 26: Pierce St. - 10th St. (Brill line, No.1)
- 1947 Apr. 16: 2nd. Av. - 5th Av. (Kenilworth Line, No.3)
- 1947 Aug. 15: 4th St. - 3rd St. (Indian School Line, No.4
- 1948 Feb. 16: Washington St. (Washington St. Line, No.2)
Operator: Phoenix Street Railway
||Downtown - Pierce St. - 10th St. - Sheridan St.
||22nd Av. - Washington St. - 16th St.
||Downtown - 5th Av. - Encanto Blvd.
||Downtown - 4th St. - 3rd St. - Indian School Rd.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Horse-drawn steetcars: 1887 - June 1895.
- Streetcars: 28 Sept. 1893 - 16 Feb. 1948.
- Light rail: 27 Dec. 2008 - today.
- Airport sky train: 8 Apr. 2013 - today.
- Light rail: 1435 mm.
- Airport sky train: Automated guideway system
The Phoenix Trolley Museum has a collection of old streetcars.
- Fleming, L.J. Ride a mile and smile the while: A history of the Phoenix Street Railway, 1887-1948. Phoenix: Swaine Publications, 1977.
- "Funding gap hits Phoenix extensions", Tramways & Urban Transit, Sept. 2009 (72: 861), p.354.
- Simons, V. "Phoenix: A city rescued by light rail", Tramways & Urban Transit, March 2009 (72: 855), p.94-97.
- Simons, V. "Phoenix light rail takes flight again", Tramways & Urban Transit, Apr. 2017 (80: 952), p.138-142.
- Simons, V. "Phoenix spreads its wings", Tramways & Urban Transit, Nov. 2014 (77:923), p.94-97.
- "Phoenix Street Railway 1887-1948", Western Railroader, 1961 (24: 254).
Special thanks to Russell Powers of Denver, Colorado for his kind help sending me information on the Phoenix streetcar
Copyright Gabor Sandi 1998-2018
Disclaimer: Everything on this site was written and/or prepared at the author's discretion. The author has tried to be accurate where facts are presented, but
this does not mean that these facts are necessarily accurate. People needing more reliable information should refer to appropriate sources
presented, on the Internet or elsewhere, by authoritative professional or academic bodies.
To get in touch with the webmaster, send an e-mail to
g_sandi at hotmail.com.
Flags on this site are from the FOTW Flags Of The World website.