MINNEAPOLIS - ST. PAUL
NORTHERN NEW JERSEY
SALT LAKE CITY
SEATTLE - TACOMA
GS Web Site Home
INSET: CENTRAL PHILADELPHIA
I created the above maps by overlaying OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps with my own data. Copyright on the OSM maps is ©
OpenStreetMap & Contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for these maps corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time
the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
Operator: Philadelphia Transportation Company (PTC)
||Olney Av. - Ogontz Av. - Cheltenham Av.
||City Hall - Market Street (subway) - Lancaster Av. - Overbrook
||City Hall - Market Street (subway) - Woodland Av. - Darby
||City Hall - Market Street (subway) - Chester Av. - Yeadon
||Callowhill - Girard Av. - Port Richmond
||Bigler St. - 11th St. [Back: 12th St.] - Germantown Av. - Chestnut Hill
||City Hall - Market Street (subway) - Baltimore Av. - Angora
||City Hall - Market Street (subway) - Lindbergh Blvd. - Elmwood Av. - Eastwick (88th St.)
||Wolf St. - [9th St. - 7th St.] [Back: 8th. St.] - 5th St. - Godfrey Av.
||Oregon Av. / Ritner St. - 5th St. [Back: 4th. St.] - 5th St. - Wyoming Av. - Rising Sun Av. - Cheltenham
||Luzerne St. - Erie Av. - Wayne Av. - Carpenter Lane
||Hunting Park Av. - Erie Av. - Torresdale Av. - Cottman Av.
||35th St. - Allegheny Av. - Port Richmond
||Yeadon - Darby
||Broad Street Spur Line
||Fern Rock - Olney Av. - Erie Stn. - North Phildelphia Stn. - Girard Stn. - Fairmount - Chinatown - 8th St. Stn. - 15th/16th & Locust
||Broad Street (Orange) Line
||Fern Rock - Olney Av. - Erie Stn. - North Phildelphia Stn. - Girard Stn. - Fairmount - City Hall - Snyder Stn.
||69th St. Terminal - Market St. - City Hall - 8th St. Stn. - Girard St. - Frankford Terminal
Operator: Port Authority Transit Corporation (PATCO)
||15th/16th & Locust - 8th St. Stn. - Benjamin Franklin Bridge - Camden Broadway
Note that the route abbraviations BR, BS, MF and BL are for the convenience of this site only, and were not used by the operators.
Operator: Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company (Red Arrow Lines)
LIGHT RAIL ROUTES
||69th St. Terminal - Radnor - Bridgeport - Norristown
||69th St. Terminal - Ardmore
||69th St. Terminal - Drexel Hill - Springfield - Media
||69th St. Terminal - Drexel Hill - Clifton - Sharon Hill
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcar lines: ? km.
- Light rail lines: ? km.
- Subway lines: ? km.
- Streetcars: (horse-powered) 26 March 1856 - ca. 1900; (electric) 1 Jan. 1889 - today.
- Light rail (steam): 1895 - 1896; (electric): 1896 - today.
- Subway: 4 March 1907 - today.
- Streetcars: 1588 mm.
- Light rail (except Norristown line): 1588 mm.
- Market-Frankford line: 1588 mm.
- Other rapid transit (including Norristown high-speed line): 1435 mm.
- Cox, H.E. "The tram subways of Philadelphia [Map]" Modern Tramway & Light Railway Review, June 1963 (26: 306), p.205-214.
- Cox, H.E. "The tram subways of Philadelphia - A history and a forward look" Modern Tramway & Light Railway Review, Jan. 1964 (27: 313), p.24.
- Demery, L.W. "US transit funding - Part 6: Elsewhere in the USA (East Coast) [Boston]" Modern Tramway & Light Rail Transit, July 1990 (53: 631), p.225-226.
- Jackson, R.E., Walker, P.J. & Wyse, W.J. "The Lyndenwold Rapid" Modern Tramway & Light Railway Review, July 1970 (33: 391), p.228-236.
- Jenkins, M. "Philadelphia's route 23" Modern Tramway & Light Rail Transit, Aug. 1987 (50: 596), p. 255-262.
- Skelsey, G. "A street car named Endure: Rail transit in Philadelphia - Part 1: The city and its character" Tramways & Urban Transit, Jan. 2006 (69: 817), p.10-15.
- Skelsey, G. "A street car named Endure: Rail transit in Philadelphia - Part 2: Heavy rail and SEPTA" Tramways & Urban Transit, Feb. 2006 (69: 818), p.53-55.
- Skelsey, G. "A street car named Endure: Rail transit in Philadelphia - Part 3: Rail transit in Philadelphia" Tramways & Urban Transit, March 2006 (69: 819), p.94-97.
- Taplin, M.R. Tramways of North America, including rapid transit [Tramway Handbooks No.4] Hassocks (West Sussex, England): Light Rail Transit Association, 1981.