GRAND RIVER VALLEY, ONTARIO (BRANTFORD, GUELPH, KITCHENER-WATERLOO)
GS Web Site Home
ABBREVIATIONS ON THE MAP
||Vancouver City College (VCC)-Clark
I created the above map by overlaying an OpenStreetMap (OSM) map with my own data. Copyright on the OSM map is
© OpenStreetMap contributors, licensed under a CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence).
Please note that the OSM map used as a template for this map corresponds to the situation at the time the map was downloaded and may show features that did not exist at the time
the GS Tram Site is supposed to show. In particular, it may show bridges and highways that were built later.
SKY TRAIN (ELEVATED/UNDERGROUND AUTOMATED LIGHT RAIL)
||Waterfront - Main St./Science World - Commercial/Broadway - Burnaby Metrotown - New Westminster - Surrey King George
||Waterfront - Main St./Science World - Commercial/Broadway - Burnaby Metrotown - New Westminster - Lougheed Town Centre - Brentwood Town Centre - Commercial/Broadway - VCC-Clark
The route designations E and M are for convenience only, and are not used by TransLink.
CANADA LINE (CLASSIC UNDERGOUND/METRO LINE)
|Waterfront - Broadway/City Hall - Langara/49th Av. - Bridgeport - [Vancouver International Airport] / [Richmond Brighouse]
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- SkyTrain: 68.7 km.
- Canada Line: 19.2 km.
- Vancouver streetcars: (electric) 28 June 1890 - 21 Apr. 1955.
- North Vancouver streetcars: (electric) 1 Sept. 1906 - 23 Apr. 1947.
- Interurban trams: (electric) 3 June 1891 - 28 Feb. 1958.
- SkyTrain (automated LRT): 3 Jan. 1986 - today.
- Canada Line (Metro): 17 Aug. 2009 - today.
- Vancouver and North Vancouver streetcars: 1453 mm.
- SkyTrain / Canada Line: 1435 mm.
The Transit Museum Society runs vintage interurban streetcars between Granville Island and Science World on weekends and holidays
during the summer months. A demonstration service by modern trams from Europe was run on the same line during the 2010 Winter Olympics held in Vancouver.
- Cockle, D. "Tram-train community rail for Fraser Valley", Tramways & Urban Transit, Dec. 2010 (73: 876), p.465-466.
- Conn, H. & Ewert, H. Vancouver's glory years: Public transit 1890-1915. North Vancouver: Whitecap Books, 2003.
- "End of city trams in Vancouver" (news item), The Modern Tramway, July 1955 (18:211), p.142.
- Ewert, H. The perfect little street car system. North Vancouver: North Vancouver Museum and Archives Commission, 2000.
- Ewert, H. The story of the B.C. Electric Railway Company. North Vancouver: Whitecap Books, 1986.
- Guide to Vancouver. Vancouver: British Columbia Electric Railway Company (BCER), 1930.
- Hyde, R. The Sockeye Special: The story of the Steveston tram and early Lulu Island. Richmond (B.C.): Author, 2011.
- Kelly, B. & Francis, D. Transit in British Columbia: The first hundred years. Madeira Park (B.C.): Harbour Publishing, 1990.
- Simons, V. "Vancouver prepares for the Winter Olympics", Tramways & Urban Transit, Jan. 2010 (73: 865), p.11-13.
- Till, H. Diary of significant events in the history of B.C. Electric's transportation system, 1889-1946. Vancouver:
B.C. Electric Co., 1947 [?].
- Transit System Map of Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver]: Challengers Cartographers, 1949, 1952 and 1954.