GRAND RIVER VALLEY, ONTARIO (BRANTFORD, GUELPH, KITCHENER-WATERLOO)
GS Web Site Home
Operator: Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)
Note: The lettered route designations are of an indicative nature only, they were never used as such. The official names of the routes are given in the second column in capitals.
||Bathurst & Bloor - Bathurst St. - Fleet St. - Exhibition
||Howard Park Ave. (High Park) - College St. - Carlton St. - Gerrard St. - Main St. - Main & Danforth
||Dundas W & Bloor - Dundas St. - Gerrard St. - Broadview Ave. - Broadview & Danforth
||Bathurst & Bloor - Bathurst St. - Queen St. - Kingston Rd. - Victoria Park Ave. & Kingston Rd. (Bingham Loop)
||Lansdowne & St. Clair - St Clair Ave. - Yonge & St. Clair
||Dundas W & Bloor - Roncesvalles Ave. - King St. - Queen St. - Broadview Ave. - Broadview & Danforth
||Roncesvalles & Queen - King St. - Queen St. - Kingston Rd. - Victoria Park Ave. & Kingston Rd. (Bingham Loop)
||Humber Loop - Lake Shore Blvd. - Long Branch
||Yonge & St. Clair - St. Clair Ave. - Mt. Pleasant Rd. - Mt. Pleasant & Eglinton
||Humber Loop - Queensway - Queen St. - Neville Park
||Keele & St. Clair - St. Clair Ave. - Yonge & St. Clair
||Bloor & Islington - Bloor - Danforth - Warden
||Finch - Yonge - Union Station - University - Bloor & St.George
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SYSTEM
- Streetcars: ? km.
- Subway: ? km.
- Streetcars: (horse-powered) 11 Sept. 1861 - 30 Aug. 1894; (electric) 15 Aug. 1892 - today.
- Subway: 30 Mar. 1954 - today.
- LRT (Scarborough Rapid Transit): 22 Mar. 1985 - today.
- Streetcars: 1495 mm.
- Subway : 1495 mm.
- LRT: 1435 mm.
- Bromley, J.F. TTC '28: The electric railway services of the Toronto Transportation Commission in 1928. Toronto: Upper Canada Railway Society, 1968.
- Filey, M. Not a one-horse town: 125 years of Toronto and its streetcars. Toronto: [Author], 1986.
- Filey, M. The TTC story: The first seventy-five years. Toronto/Oxford: Dundurn Press, 1996.
- Simons, V. "Toronto: Making the move", Tramways & Urban Transit, Oct. 2013 (76:910), p.420-426.
- Skelsey, G. "Toronto: The TTC's streetcars at 80 (Part 4)", Tramways & Urban Transit, Jan. 2001 (64:757), p.15-18.
- Taplin, M.R. Tramways of North America, including rapid transit.Hassocks (England): Light Rail Transit Association, 1982 (?).
- Wickson, E.A. "Toronto's new Light Rail Line". In: Light Rail Review 2. London: Light Rail Transit Association, 2000 [p.63-65].
Distant view of a Peter Witt streetcar, once the most common model in the system, but taken out of regular service in 1963.
This photo of a tourist streetcar was taken in the mid-1980s, probably on McCaul Street, connecting Queen and Dundas.
A PCC streetcar, still in regular service on the 501 (Queen) route in the summer of 1983.
Another photo of a PCC streetcar, in advertising livery, on the new 510 (Spadina) route, in the summer of 2003.
Photo of a CLRV car, of the latest generation of Toronto streetcars, on the 510 (Spadina) route, in the summer of 2003. The
University of Toronto Athletic Centre is in the background.
Photo of a CLRV streetcar, emerging from McCaul Terminus Loop, summer 2005.
Photo of an articulated ALRV streetcar on the 501 (Queen) route at the Humber Loop, summer 2005.
Another view of an articulated ALRV streetcar on the 501 (Queen) route, on Queen Street between Spadina Street and University Ave.,
Photo of a Scarborough LRT vehicle at Kennedy Station, summer 2003.